Trekking and Archaeology on Yagour | 3 days
Group Departure on subscription / 380€ per person : on September 13th, 2018 & July 2nd, 2019 (if at least 4 people subscribe)
For tailor-made departure on request : 2 people: €425 pp; 3 people: €330 pp; 4-6 people: €295 pp. Child of 8 -12: 150€.
Travel back in time in the Atlas Mountains !
You like history and walking in the mountains? This trek is perfect for you!
Discover rock paintings in breathtaking mountain landscapes!
Get off the classic hiking trails and discover a part of the Atlas full of history and still unknown by tourists.
This 3-day hike is accessible to all levels and offers you all the comfort with 2 nights in a tent, a professional guide, a cook and a mule to carry your luggage.
Group SizeSmall Group
Travel back in time in the Atlas Mountains !
Mountain enthusiasts will be delighted to discover prehistorical places with rock paintings, in spectacular landscapes. Located just one hour’s drive from Marrakech, this hike immerses you directly in the beauty of green valleys, traditional Berber villages and typical Atlas landscapes.
The first day is dedicated to the climb to reach the Yagour plateau that you can already see from Marrakech. Located at an altitude of almost 2500m, the first camp site already offers a breathtaking view of the Tizi n’Oucheg valley and the first rock paintings.
The crossing of the Yagour plateau of the second day will leave you speechless: its long ridge overlooking the plain of Marrakech makes it one of the most beautiful views of the Atlas Moutains. In addition, you will have the chance to discover on the way several rock paintings dating from prehistory. Your guide will tell you everything about the people who settled here over 6,000 years ago and will answer all your questions.
The second camp is organized at the foot of Mount Meltsene, culminating at almost 4000m, a summit that very few hikers try every year.
The last day will bring you back to the starting village: a descent along the “Springs valley”, towards Ait Oucheg.
This adventure is for intermediate level hikers. Even children who are used to walking and camping can participate in this adventure.
Offering a vertical drop of almost 1000m, it is accessible to families. A mule driver always follows the group while a cooker takes care of the setting up of the camps and the preparation of all the meals, which are varied and hot served.
Day-by-day description :
1st day : 5-hour walk – 8km – 900m altitude difference
Departure from the refuge, climb to the plateau of Yagour in 3 hours and 1 hour walk on the plateau to reach the bivouac. Meal followed by a nap! An hour walk on the plateau to admire the rock paintings and the sunset over the valley. Bivouac in a tent on the plateau.
2nd day: 4h30 of walking – 10 km – 100m altitude difference
Departure from the camp to discover the Yagour plateau and the magnificent ridge of Tizi n’Oughré cliff side which gives a point of view on the city of Marrakech (if the weather is clear). On cloudy days, you may even be just above the clouds. The trek continues to the mountain lake. Bivouac in a tent on the plateau.
3rd day: 4h30 of walking – 10km – 900m altitude difference
Descent from the Yagour plateau by the “Springs valley”. Lunch along the river and walk to the villages of Annamer and Tizi n’Oucheg in the afternoon.
Then return to Marrakech or possibility of spending an extra night at the mountain refuge.
- Exceptional landscapes, for all hiking levels.
- Discovery of rock paintings, places of archeology full of history.
- A team of guides who will answer all your questions about this prehistorical period.
- Totally off the tourist trail, only 1 hour from Marrakech!
Details & Logistics
- This trek is ideal from May to September.
- Hiking duration: 3 days, from Marrakech.
- Two group departures per year. This trek is available only if 4 people are registered. Maximum 10 people.
- The nights are organized in nomad camp.
- Once your reservation request has been made, we will reconfirm all details by email within 24 hours.
- If you want to make a private hike, contact us. We organize tailor-made departures on demand.
In case of rain, the nights in camps can be modified in nights in sheepfold and the itineraries can be adapted.
Good to know
We will send you the full list of the things not to forget once your booking is confirmed, but here are the essential elements that are mandatory :
- Rigid shoes suitable for mountain trek.
- Walking stick (optional)
- Sleeping bag and pillowcase.
- Windproof and fleece
- A small backpack of 20/30 liters.
- Personal medical insurance including repatriation.
If the weather is not favorable, Dunes & Desert reserves the right to cancel or postpone the departure. See general conditions.
- Pick up from & return transfer to your hotel or riad (5 km or less from Marrakech)
- English speaking mountain guide for the full three days.
- Three picnic lunches, two dinners, two breakfasts and snacks.
- Two nights in tents (or sheeptfold following the weather)
- All the bivouac equipment (tents & mattresses)
- Limited Limited liability insurance is included. For your peace of mind, we recommend a personal repatriation insurance.
- Tips and extras are not included..
- We do not provide personal risk insurance.